a school with history....
_This Residential School was opened in 1888 and closed in 1970. It started out as a boarding school founded by a Presbyterian Mission. The school was financed by the Women's Foreign Missionary Society and the Presbyterian church along with grants from the Federal Department of Indian Affairs.
The school existed until 1930 when it was demolished to make way for a larger school which stands today.The school had various capacities throughout the years. The school was built with brick on top of a hill and can be seen from the town. Beside the school there are the remains of smaller buildings that were a part of the farm. The students at the school were forced to work the farm around the school. They were not allowed to leave the school grounds which made this school feel more like a prison than a school.
Today the school still stands but it is in very bad condition. It was never converted for any other purpose so everything inside is original. There are many terrible stories and experiences tied to this school, as with most residential schools.
Documenting this school and reading stories from past students was very moving.